Thursday, November 9, 2017

I don't like apples...i love them...

September and October are months were apple and pumpkin picking is open at La Ferme Quinn 2495 Boul Perrot Notre-Dame-de-l’Ile-Perrot, QC J7V 8P4. It has been a great day to visit the farm while the sun is still out. This 110 acre farm is owned and operated by Quinn family.  Tons of activities are made available for everybody, from toddler of 2 year old up to all grown ups.  Animal barn can be visited. Tractor rides are available every 30 minutes on Monday to Friday and every 15 minutes  on weekends. You can pick your own fruits and have your own fresh baked goods as you go home.

During our visit last October, we focused on apple picking (though it officially ends November 6, 2017 for this season). We were dropped off by the tractor in the midst of apple trees. We were welcomed by our tourist guide and introduce variety of apples available in the farm. There are cortland, empire, lobo, Mcintosh, and spartan. I never thought that there are these variation of apple though probably I was only introduced to spartan apple way back home. I so love eating fresh apples whatever variety it is. We were told to simply pick the apples from the trees without twisting and eat them directly. The crispness and juiciness of these freshly picked apples satisfies my apple craving.

Here are some pictures of my very first apple picking experience:










Reasons why I love apple:
  • I used to be eating apples since childhood, so my tongue has natural craving on it. Only on the fresh ones, not much on the baked items.
  • Apple skin cleanse your teeth and is said to be able to whiten your teeth. The skin of the apple is the healthiest part. The most anti-oxidants (including Quercetin) are found in the skin. (It doesn't matter if it's proven or not but I do really love the apple skin...the crunchiness)
  • An apple a day, keeps the doctor away. Nutritionally, apples contain no fat, no sodium and no cholesterol. They are a good source of fiber.
  • Apples are brain food, it contain high levels of boron, which stimulates electrical activity of the brain and increases mental alertness.
  • Apples may not be rich in calcium, but its high levels of boron make it a great food to prevent osteoporosis and strengthen bones. These fabulous fruits also have the ability to boost estrogen levels in menopausal women.
  • Eating apples can replace my usual lunch or dinner
  • Apples are also good for the skin


No comments:

Post a Comment