Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind

As I attend 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Teach-back Session for the 2nd time around after almost 7 years, I realize that things do change. Priorities years ago are different. Challenges are more complicated and achievements become more meaningful. What keeps intact is my core values.

Just to share what Stephen R. Covey presented in his book,  7 Habits of Highly Effective People which is very much helpful for personal effectiveness


The Seven Habits move us through the following stages:
  1. Dependence: the paradigm under which we are born, relying upon others to take care of us.
  1. Independence: the paradigm under which we can make our own decisions and take care of ourselves.
  1. Interdependence: the paradigm under which we cooperate to achieve something that cannot be achieved independently.
  • Habit 1: Be Proactive
  • Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
  • Habit 3: Put First Things First
  • Habit 4: Think Win/Win
  • Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
  • Habit 6: Synergize
  • Habit 7: Sharpen The Saw


The first three habits are:
Habits 4, 5, and 6 then address interdependence:
Finally, the seventh habit is one of renewal and continual improvement, that is, of building one's personal production capability. 

Part of this session is to write personal mission statement. I was able to give myself opportunity to re-write my personal mission statement since the same activity was done during the 1st time I took it.

Here it goes...

For my son, I will dream big with him and make it happen. But for now, let me be his playmate.  We'll enjoy each day of his childhood.  I will create good memories and experiences that he could look back when time comes. I will be with him visibly or not along the way.

For my husband, I may not be better than the best wife, who cares? I love him more than anybody knows.  Ours is not perfect but genuine. And I promise to keep it that way forever. We'll continue to do the household together, eat and get fat together, sleep and dream together, plan and execute together, and get old together...see the reality of the world til death do us part.

For my parents, I'll uphold the integrity and dignity they installed in my heart and mind. They are not asking but I'll try to give back the favors they've given me during my younger years.  I am lucky for having them and I owe them for who I am now.

For myself, I will continuously be strong for myself.  I will conquer my fears.  Cancer won't stop me from doing better. In fact, it drives me to realize urgency in executing my goals and consider time is of the essence.  My body is the temple of my soul.  In the name of longevity, I'll not take it for granted and keep it healthy, not only for myself but for my family and friends. I'll pursue additional studies and  sharpen my weapon.  I will build sturdy financial account for the future.  I will establish relationships and keep connected to people. I'll make sure I provide inspiration through service to others in my own little ways.  I hope to touch lives even with small level of impact through sharing thoughts, charity and gratitude.

In the end, I will enjoy the breeze, laugh heavily, and savor each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment